Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Punt

Okay, I admit it, I punted this morning. Not happy with how my lecture outline was coming together, I instead slid in a dvd for class this morning. Really, I had been meaning to show the video, but it covered topics over a couple of weeks, so it was not a good fit anywhere. Shoe horned it in today, anyway. And to boot, it was a tear jerker.

No actual tears today (have seen them before with this video), but some serious long faces when I dived into the discussion topics after it was over. What was the tear-jerker? The Man Who Knew, a Frontline documentary on FBI agent John O'Neil, who had nearly connected all the dots of the 9/11 plot. Good documentary, but the very definitinition of irony in the end, and incredibly sad irony at that.

I did have a discussion on the relevant issues--organizational culture, interagency and intra-agency conflict, SOP's, goal conflict.

So, okay, maybe I did not earn my keep today. but hopefully the punt will allow me to have more focus on my lectures on unobtrusive and evaluation research. Oh yeah, something about the privilaged position of business tonight. That, and a debate on on bilingual education. Give me an opportunity to whip out some of my mad dissertation knowledge on them young punks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you just have to punt.

MS

Kimberly (aka. DrKim) said...

we've all been there...I know i've had days where I taught less than compelling lectures with no preparation, no sleep, or both! I hope I make up for it on other days....but i feel your pain. :-)

But the important thing...did you get a good bike ride in?

(PS. looking forward to TTT practice tonight...a more scientific viewpoint did the trick...let's hope my sore back/hip don't plauge me today)

dr-nitro said...

I'm limping over the line this quarter. And no riding today. Quick dog walk, and prep for my lecture tonight. Two more 8-8 days left next week. Finish line. Where's my testosterone patch?

Kimberly (aka. DrKim) said...

dog walks are good...my irish setter would second that.

good luck finishing up! I have a crazy day today as well, but I get a 5:30-8 break to squeeze my bike ride in. It will be a late night, though!

the double shot latte works for those 12 hour days at the old desk, too...probably not quite the same as a testosterone patch :-) but more legal.