Saturday, May 19, 2007

Bike Lanes Suck

Really, they do. In Kansas (not like I am nostalgic or anything) there were few, if any, bike lanes around Lawrence. Thus, we rode in the road. And thusly more, the roads were clean cuz of the cars. That ain't so with our lovely wide enough to go two abreast and more room to spare bike lanes in bike friendly Cali (except for the car-centric cali types).

Why the ire? Me lost another tire today. A week old beauty. That’s two in two weeks. Now, I've taken to riding nice tires in my old age. In part due to riding on clean roads before I moved home. But now it is a bit of laziness as well. Now that I am racing again, I don't want to have to change anything between when I am riding (not quite to the point of calling it training) and racing. I bought me some damn fancy Fulcrum Zeros (which took a bit of a hit today as well) that are light as all get out, and sturdy to boot, and I dress them up with nice rubber. Again, from coffee shop ride to sweaty road race without having to fiddle around changing wheels, tires, gearing, nothing but my attitude. Yet, road debris eats up the tires before they get worn out most of the time.

What's the solution? Admittingly, I can get S-Works Mondo's pretty cheap through the team. But I could get other Specialized tires even cheaper. Do I just suck it up and change the shoes before I race? Ya get the "damn these are nice" feeling when you race on the nice stuff and ride on the bombers. That said, that feeling goes away quickly when the suffering starts. Screw it, I want that yum yum feeling all the time. So, point that S#%t out, people. And hey, any motorists out there, could you do some road sweeping in the bike lane? Preferably when we are not actually in the lane.

No comments: