Friday, June 1, 2007

Up Up and Away

Just cleaned my ride so as to get every last speck of extra weight off my bike for the ascent up the Fig tomorrow. Miles and miles of uppity up up up. And given the sad news of the passing of a fellow racer from way back when, there will surely be a stop at his market in Los Olivos.

It was the last time I rode up the Fig and popped the tale in this blog that I heard from Mark Fennell, telling me that the market I stopped at was owned by Steve Dennel, which brought back a flood of memories. Steve was that sprinter breed, so I did not associate with him too much, but I do remember him zipping to the front when the speedsters smelled the finish line. I would, however, become teammates and close friend with one of his teammates, Dave Feingold, and ended up spending a fair amount of time tooling around SB with the SB cycling crowd as a result.

The news brings back more memories, and makes me truly value those memories. Here's to you, Steve. Up up and away.

2 comments:

Marco Fanelli said...

Well said Nick.

Marco Fanelli said...
This comment has been removed by the author.