Friday, May 4, 2007

I have a Ph.D. in what?

So, I'm sitting here, all acedemic and intellectual like, and all, grading papers at a coffee shop, and I evesdrop in on the cute little barrista talking about politics. She's wearing a friends don't let friends vote Republican shirt (giving me excuse to read her... well... I'm a dirty ol...), and the other barista apparently is a Rep. Anyway, she's perplexed by how the rep candidates during the debate the other night were so focused on taxes. Hmm, it is their audience they are talking to, honey. Why not social issues? That's the other party (or are they the anti-war party?).

Now apparently, she was born a Rep. And apparently she's been brainwashed (probably by pin head liberal acadmics like me), so she is wondering how to actually go about changing her party affiliation. Simple, I say (I should know this with my degree). However, what does that mean for primaries. Shit, I don't do elections. I seem to recall one of those silly props creating open primaries before I headed off to the f'n south. However, I seem to remember that something had happened since then (9 people in black robes said nyet).

Anyway, I now know (thanks Google) that California has a modified primary (also would have known that the sec state website would have had this info, since I apparently do institutions).

But, it begs the question, if one can answer these questions with google, why the hell do we need political scientists (BTW, I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that we really don't)?

On another note, the kids here are playing music that they were probably concieved to. Joy Division, The The (feat. Sinead O'Connor), The Smiths, Echo and the Bunnymen, you know, the 80's. And now, Tones on Tail. Oh my. My hair is black again, and eyes circled with dark eyeliner.

That's right, before I started shaving my legs, I had other effimenate tendencies. In fact, I started shaving my legs right when I stopped with the goth beauty products. Right before heading down for a concert where I had front row tickets for Love and Rockets and Souixsie and the Banshees, June 86. The tickets were scored by April and Linda, two UCSB hottie gothies who me and my friend met at a Cult concert in April of 86. Thank you April and Linda, especially April. I Nearly did not get a high school diploma due to that show (missed a few finals my senior year, and I was on the edge of dropping out). Yet, I got a high school dipolma, and several years later a bachelor's degree, and coming full circle to my question, my Ph.D. And again, I have a Ph.D. in what?

14 comments:

Henri said...

dude, I looked all over for you, poster boy, as Pat Df calls ya, at Cat's, but you where no where to be found. figured I'd see ya at the front of the race.

dr-nitro said...

Peter decided not to go, and I just could not get myself to drive 6 hours round trip for a twenty mile crit. I'm kinda bummed I missed it, but oh well.

Now, what's with this poster boy moniker?

Henri said...

that is Pat's nick name for you, cause your sooooo good looking. get after him.

dr-nitro said...

Yeah, that's why I am a big hit with the ladies. Wait...

Anyway, I guess it is better than being the poster child.

profkim said...

hi there--im a fellow ph.d./professor bike racer....although mine is in engineering. Funny comments ;-) liked your blog.

dr-nitro said...

Uh oh, an academic has found my blog. This will sure get me kicked out of the Academy. Please, Kimberely, don't tell anyone else I'm throwing stones in the glass castle. I'm still kinda hoping that I get me one of them tenure-track thingies here. Other than having issues with the profession, I do like the work.

I think that the profession would be a lot better off, though, if more of us wore spandex. In fact, the only academics I truly trust share the biking obessions. It is better, after all, to choose your friends based on common interests rather than common profession. But I profess. Been doing that all day. Time for beer.

And again, don't let any other academics in on my site.

profkim said...

no worries--your secret is safe with me! I'm hoping not many academics find mine, either! I'm sure I'd get tenure revoked for anyone in the COE figuring out I ride my bike 12 hours a week instead of writing papers and such... I have tenure though, so what can they do! :-) And I agree with your comment about wearing spandex...i create quite the scene when I leave work for a noon ride in full kit...

Cheers..

dr-nitro said...

Oh, tenure. My record is good enough for that, at least here at Cal Poly, which is probably part of the problem I'm having getting the t-track position. Plus, I just don't play the game well. Silly me, for working in a restaurant for 13 years, racing for several years, and expecting that work product is good enough. Silly, silly me.

Argh, feel like John Bolton trying to get into the building he said would be better with a few floors lopped off.

At least I got my spandex.

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

universities are more beaurocratic than the government (and I have race brain so I can't spell tonight and don't really care). I taught at a biggie on the east coast for 7 years (adjunct since I had a "real" career). but I also worked for the university in another capacity and was in on all the secretest of secrets on the finance side. craziness. get out while you still can.

ps -- post a photo poster boy!

dr-nitro said...

Hey, I study bureaucracies, and I don't see the term bureaucratic as an insult. But the term academic does leave a bad taste in my mouth. Peter principal in practice. To boot, political science seems to be an area where profs think they should get paid for being up on current events. Okay, that is a bit strong, but not far off for some.

Hell, my dept does not even have the CVs of the faculty up on their webpage. The grad program's page (masters in public policy) does not either. Just pics (bad ones) and areas. Even the grad student putting the page together felt that CVs should be put up, so prospective students can get an idea of the research the the faculty does, but the director shot it down. It might look embarassing if mine goes up, seeing that I'm just a lowly lecturer.

Anyway, I only took this position cuz I wanted to come home. I'm home now, so if I don't get me something solid at Cal Poly, I'll find something real here.

Kimberly (aka. DrKim) said...

don't try looking at my CV online--it is like 5 years old (or more)! At least my research groups website (with most of our pubs) is up to date! Universities have their game--im not saying i agree with it, but I make sure they think i play along...and then I get to do research on the stuff I enjoy, and more importantly finance my bike habit (although maybe i'll get a team next year to offset some of the costs...).

dr-nitro said...

Yeah, I'd like to do some research, though 15 hours a week in the classroom does not leave to much time for that. I guess they figure that keeping me in the classroom in a lecturing position will allow them to catch up to me. I'm not bragging. In fact, I am really wondering the value of the research I do. I know that the policies I study are important, but it does not mean damn all to the policies that I study them. But, it should mean something to the MPP program, since I am the only one here that does research in the area. The director does political psychology. Or at least that is what she says she does. Since she won't post her CV, it is not clear that she does anything at all.

Anyway, I do want to figure out a way to make it work. Again, one would think that good evals and support from students, strong research record, and the fact that I'm from SLO and don't plan on using this position for a launching pad for another position would land me a position. But that is rational thinking. I should know better.

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

you gotta play the game. and sit on committees. and play the game some more. and you still might say the wrong thing to the dean's wife or wear the wrong shoes or not sit in your office enough.

dr-nitro said...

Forced to share an office with someone who should not be drawing a check funded by student tuition and tax dollars. Can't go to department meetings cuz they are talking about the job searches that I'm a candidate for. Yet, stuck being the confidant for students who are getting sold a bill of goods and come to me cuz the program had a lecturer (me) teach the first two courses for a grad program. And given my situation, I am only able to provide comfort and tell them to stick it out.

My situation cannot be fully explained in this blog. I'll just say that my primary motive to getting a college degree, other than to get a stable career so I can settle down here in SLO, was to contribute to public education by becoming a high school teacher. I ended up taking different route when I decided to go to grad school, and have been frustrated since. I don't see people's primary motive as being the advancement of educational goals, and particularly public educational goals, but instead the advancement of their careers. There are good people in the profession, but good actions are not necessarily rewarded. The only reason why I want to stick it out is to do what I can to promote public education.