Sunday, June 3, 2007

Rocks Are Hard

So, I was feeling good about my mtb descending skills on the Thursday night dirt session, keeping pace going down with the venerable Sterling McBride, and other bombers. But today that went out the window, as I went off the trail into the rocks. And damn, there are a lot of nasty rocks on the west Cuesta Ridge. Oh, I'm familiar with them, as I've hit them before, but it has been a while.

Took it a bit easy up Shooters, letting my legs rest a bit after abusing them on the Fig yesterday. Even though I backed off, I was only about 15 seconds off the pace (11:05 compared to about 10:50). Across the ridge, and down Pick and Shovel to the truck, still good. The screaming brakes were bugging me (damn metalic pads), but beyond that I felt in the groove.

Then, on the next section, I started off shakey, and ended up in the rocks. Maybe too much front brake to compensate for the howling rear. Front end got swimmy on the rocks, and I flew sideways. I had one of those "damn, this is going to hurt" moments between coming off and landing. And I was right. Damn, it hurt. Right side took a banging, but no deep cuts, and nothing broken (bike or me). Made for a painful rest of the ride though. Right leg crampy, head freaked out, brakes howling.



Looks like my left leg will have to take up the load next week, as I work on the kinks on the right. Hopefully I can work out the kinks in the head too, cuz going down rocky stuff ain't fun when you have fresh thoughts of how hard them a rocks are.

3 comments:

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

ouch! I had a stupid little crash in my mtn bike race yesterday. thought I broke my finger early in the race.. I've got three big, black, swollen fingers today -- so pretty. amazingly enough they don't really hurt. hope you heal quickly! make sure to clean out those wounds really well.

dr-nitro said...

Got all the dirt out, but it will take a while to get the lumps out of my quad and chin. I hear beer is a good muscle relaxer.

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

my sister's number one rule of first aid: "apply alcohol," and she's not referring to the type you rub into anything! beer is good. tequila is probably better.