Saturday, April 7, 2007

Why does it feel so good to hurt so much?

Hats off to the survivors of the 07 edition of Copperopolis.

Good stuff.

Hats off to Hernando and his boys. Once again, showing us how it is done*.

Hats off to the AMD Geezers. Nice dig on the last lap. Sorry I could not help more.

Hats off to the Buddy Holly Biker. Come to think of it, it was the acronym themed chases today. Second lap, EMC, third AMD.

Hats off to that big buy in the white green and yellow kit. How you got your big lump up over the hump and still had the juice to chase...well that's some serious torque.

HK, bummer for the mechanicals. You would have been a valuable asset, saving me from my own desire to get up front and chase myself into oblivion.

Bummer for Hutch, too, taken out by a mechanical. Surely you would have been a playa today.

Now, I think that it might be time for a new nick name, cuz clearly I don't do it justice. Sure, I could motor, but no jump. Doesn't nitrous give you a quick burst? If I have that, I did not have it today. Maybe cuz I dropped my chain on the second lap, and used it catching back up on the back climb. Maybe cuz I had an off day. Or maybe, just maybe, I don't have a jump. Does this mean that I have to start doing intervals if I want to keep the name? Might be easier to give it up. HK, got any ideas?

Anyway, the race was the real deal. I thought that there would be more attrition, but there was some serious depth in the pack. The speed was kept up on the flat land, making difficult to have energy to launch an attack on the climbs. And the descent. Oy. I'm still getting used to the whole gravity thing again after living in the flat lands too long. Damn you Texas and Kansas (for serveral other reasons, also, than being just being flat). Plus, it took me a while to figure out that new smell. The smell of carbon wheel pads. Kinda freaked me out.

*However, at the risk of being flamed (assuming anyone reads this), it's poor etiquette to interfer with a chase, even when your guys are up the road. Sit back, and enjoy the free ride. If they are brought back, then use the fresh legs to counter attack.

5 comments:

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

daag ... gawdamn berries put the hurt on 2nd time up the bumper climb. i'm glad you don't have the nitro yet ... diesel is about right. hopefully you won't find that other gear in that transmission or we're in for drop-city.


as for the interruption in the chase? yeah, if it's an 80k chase to bring back the doomed breakaway ... yeah, i hear ya. but, if were talking the final few miles with the gap hovering at a handful of seconds ... part of chasing right is not letting the boys get in your rotation. especially if they're is no banging or aggressive riding - done respectfully.

and, all it takes is someone to stand up and speak firmly, but similarly respectfully to say 'hey, back o' the bus boys as we chase.'

it usually does the trick.

but, if you let the boys roll along and gently slow the chase (not block) ... well, then ...


but, what do i know - i didn't see any of it ;)

Henri said...

the free ride is a good enough reward for having a teammate off the front. sit back and watch a chase, see if the other can get there act together and organize. apreciate the beauty of it and do the same if ya hav' ta one day. the more organized and better we play this game the way it should be played, the more fun it will be and the better we will all be for it. DAMN bike racing is fun!!!
Good job today Nitro, wish I'd been there and I'll start passing notes in class, and we'll make it work. always happy to speak up. too. H

dr-nitro said...

Well, I'll respectively disagree, Olaf. Some polite words were said. I started some shouldering (w/o actually making contact), but that could ultimately lead to dangerous riding.

Let the chasers slip in in front of you. If they don't, then the numbers chasing decreases as the chasers slip to the back, and in that way the job is getting done.

Plus, in some instances, rolling through can actually contribute the chase.

Anyway, it was a damned good time today, even though I wish I would had done it a bit better.

And, as to whether I get another gear, I suspect that it might just come about by keeping up the racing. Or at least that is what I hope. In the mean time, maybe a few intervals will be in the order.

And again, hats off to you, Olaf. Good ride.

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

naw ... you don't wanna do no intervals.

just long tempo rides to keep your endurance up for the chasing ;)

dr-nitro said...

I sense a bit of self interest in your training advice.

While I'm built to domestique, I have star aspirations.

Wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off.... Here I come, Olaf.