Saturday, April 28, 2007

Up and Down Old Creek

Took the new toy up Old Creek today. Click here

Come to think about, I've only gone up that central coast classic twice since I've been back. Hmm?

Anyway, me and my Berry boys Gavin and Ben, along with Geoff and Joel hit the road up the coast.

A lot of tinkering around today. Geoff got his new ride and was trying to find the G-spot.

Over Whale Rock, no real effort. No big. But in the valley before the climb, I start to pick it up. Some old, same old. What I can't remember, though, is the starting point of the climb (for measurement purposes that is). I pick a point, but think that it is earlier than usual. Oh well, I want to establish a standard for the toy. Click the lap button and go.

Going up, I don't feel great, don't feel bad, just grunt. A couple started up the road, and I pick the one off half way up, and the next after the hairpin. He had the gall to say "good job." Of course, I am such a snob to think that was a gallish thing to say. Anyway, grunt away. Over the top, I give it a dig to keep up with my new goal, never slow down over the top. The speed must increase all the way over.

11:44 for the two miles. I seem to think that the distance was 1.8, and that I used to be able to crack 11. If the distance is 1.8, then I'm not far off the good ol days, even though it did not feel like it.

Now, the descent. Used to be my favorite, and have certainly gone down it in the past at a rediculous speed. A bit more reserved today, but a good clip anyway. Hit 50, which is darned fast for the narrow, twisty number.

Dig it over the back side of Whale Rock, and make the boys chase into Cayucous. Unfortunately, they are not up for keeping it up. The Payne man stops to adjust a slipping carbon on carbon post, and then we meander through MB. A little dig over the golf course, and even an effort on the col de Turri, but it is tame. Even the kick ass LOVR tailwind does not get the boys excited. Okay, Joel is over that silly stuff, Gavin has moving pains, and I don't know why I could not get anyone else excited. Oh well.

A little coffee time, and the day is done. And, clearly I'm back in the racing mode, cuz I'm thinking that there was not enough hurt on hte ride. What is wrong with me?

No comments: