Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Wax On, Wax Off, Wax on, Ken Off

Well, today is Tuesday, so we must be doing the Tuesday noon race/not race. The ride I always dred showing up to, and wish I could just convince the guys to go slow, even though I always end up being a full-fledged participant in the painfest.

Well, today I have a new focus. Olaf offered some training advice, and I'm pretty sure that he is trying to keep my in diesel mode throughout the year. So today, I was committed to do some efforts before the ride, and do some sprinting and attacking during the ride. Especially after last week when I did the traditional long pull up the cote de Turri just to be outsprinted by the new hot pair of legs in SLO, and Kenny, who subsequetnly left me in never never land over the top. But that was last week. Things will be different.

Same ol' song and dance going out. Rotate, then ask yourself how much is it worth to risk your skin for the Morro Bay sprint. Not much. The real stuff was to come.

Get on Turri, and low and behold, I find myself in front heading up to the hill. No one ever seems to want to pull through. Always thinking that they will get a free ride, but they usually just get left behind anyway. So, no biggie. I put in the push up the steps. Save a bit, your gonna sprint for that KOM today, even if you pull 'em up the hill. Keeping the pace high, there were no early attacks, just the sound of a weezing and grunting C. Black fading away. Sounds naughty, but it seems to work for him. Hit the sharp bend, and wind it up. Where are they, the boy in yellow, and the boy in red? Yellow makes his move, and instead of keeping it steady, I dig more. He gets a length, but I lock on and make the tires, and my legs and lungs, scream. I don't get the KOM, but I'm on his wheel, and I'm ready to make him hurt on the tailwind fest home. Just you wait, boy.

But wait, where's the boy in red? Tired from the US Open and his kickass top 20 finish? No, the word is that boys are down down the hill. The kid asks me do we go on or turn around? It's just a training ride, we don't leave any men behind. Back down the hill, Ken, Blake and Black are inspecting their bikes and limbs. Everything looks good, in that it does not appear that 911 needs to be dialed, but the thrill is gone.

Ken's chain hopped the track, down off the front chainring, when he stood up to accelerate up the pitch. Thankfully no one was really hurt. And the bikes looked alright as well. Eric, and Blake dog piled Ken, who apparently makes for a soft landing. Ken, though developed a bit of a derailleur problem. At least he's got the pro sponsorship.

Anyway, while the wind was still whipping down LOVR, begging for a full speed boogie in high gear, the wind is out of the sails of the key playas. Soft shoeing is the name of the game for most of LOVR.

But wait, this is exactly what Olaf is hoping for. Long, slow and steady. Must push it, even if I do it in my diesel way. Over the top, I go 11. Bye bye, y'all, full tilt boogie time. I'm alone, but that's fine, training can be a lonely game.

Not quite was I was hoping for, getting reading for the tummy eater classic. But at least my skin is intact, and I pushed myself a bit harder over the hill, even finding some motivation to put in the solo dig down LOVR. I really do need to get top five on Friday so I can get the mini fortune I paid to race down the corkscrew 15 or so times this Friday.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

that guys been on the pavement more than Cal-Trans this season

dr-nitro said...

While he can't, or shouldn't say it, it is largely due to equipment issues. That is why he has a forks with black tape to cover who made them, cuz the sponsored forks failed him. That said, he said that it might have been a stretched chain that led to it coming off. In that case, poor maintanence on his part.

Either way, I think that I'll do my best to stay in front of him.

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

hmm... only remember watching Ken at that Hanford crit. His skills are good, nothing to condemn there. i think it's more a big engine still learning how to be guided.

learning limits is part of the game and takes some time. and i don't think the kid has been riding all that long.

besides, i think he's learning how to move those limits nowadays ... which is when you risk, but he needs to risk where he's going.
- - -

as for upgrading the diesel ... NOOOOOO!!!!

ah well, as long as you don't get any leg speed we should be fine.


doh! why'd i say that, too?

dr-nitro said...

Ken can ride a bike, both well and damned fast. My comments about staying in front of him are a bit tongue and cheek, and in reference to his luck. His steering tube snapped in Fresno (in think) sending him face first. Ouch. And yesterday was a fluke. Again, the guy can ride his bike, but his bike has failed him lately.

Now leg speed. I don't ever see me as a speed demon, as I never was, but I will improve on what I got based on past experiences. One way or another, someone has to break the monotony of you winning all the time, Olaf.

Anonymous said...

OV

Are you saying Doc makes me look like the Wunder Spinner????

I actaully can spin at like 80 rpms now after months and months of listening to OV pickin on my lack of leg speed. :)

MS

Anonymous said...

Olaf needs more strawberries. He will get that familiar pungent taste soon enough.... :) I know his game - and a complex one it is. Maaannnnnyyy levels to that boy.

dr-nitro said...

HK, are you posting under anonymous? Sure reads like your code.